This age-old French region lies in the Massif Central and is made up of 4 departments: Allier, Cantal, Haute-Loire and Puy de Dôme.
It came 6th in Lonely Planet’s most beautiful regions in the world…
Here are some unmissable sites in Auvergne!
- Vulcania, volcano park
- Château de Murol, medieval fortress
- Chaîne des Puys, nature, footpaths and volcanoes
- Puy de Dôme, nature and volcanoes
- Puy de Sancy, footpaths, volcanoes and nature
- St Pierre de St Flour Cathedral, fabulous Gothic architecture and paintings
- Arboretum de Balaine, botanical garden
- Plateau de Gergovie, in Julius Caesar’s footsteps
- Mont Mouchet, Auvergne resistance hot spot
- Granval Dam, lake, fishing and water sports
- Puy Mary, amazing views, footpaths and nature
- Le PAL, theme park and wildlife park